How to get the best look ever!
If you’re like me, the excitement of going to parties or events quickly fades when you feel like you’d never get the perfect look. Getting ready for an event doesn’t have to be hard work or depressing especially when we are here (and so many others too) to help you get ready.
Before I get to actual pictures of things you can wear, let’s start with tips. These tips are somewhat specific but can be general too, let’s go;
– Plan ahead: This sort of goes without saying. The only way to get the best of anything is to plan for it. Planning will start with visualizing/conceptualizing your look, in terms of what you want to look like which colours, which accessories, what hair, makeup and so on. You would also need to check if the items in your wardrobe will suffice or perhaps you need to go shopping for stuff. For makeup, I suggest you get it done properly. If you’re not good DIY wise, please visit Sleek, Zaron, MUD, Faces of Dee and the like to get your makeup done (what’s worth doing…)
– Decide which theme you’re going with: For Music Meets Runway, you need to decide if you’re channeling music or the runway OR if you’re gonna subtly merge these 2 themes. Note the word subtly.
To channel music, think of rock and roll chic looks, hip-hop/ghetto fabulous looks, street style…You’d need studded accessories (purse, shoes or neckpiece), bling, distressed denim, pumps, sneakers, jackets, leather…
To channel fashion: think of fashion trends in style at the moment, florals, monochrome, prints…think dresses, jumpsuits, statement neckpieces, think glam. You’d need bright colours, risqué pieces, pumps, just think uber chic. If this is just too tasking, look up your favourite music stars or celebrities and recreate the most appropriate look. You can also check out the collections of the fashion designers slated for MMR.
– Dress like you might run into your worst enemy: This is my number one mantra and I found it in Kimora Lee Simmons’ book on Fabulosity. If you’ve got no enemies, insert best crush and you’re good to go.
– Do not forget hygiene and confidence: Everything you do in steps 1-3 above will just go to the dustbin if you don’t have your babeliness game on (Proper hygiene and a healthy dose of confidence).
Whatever you do, DO NOT wear the same colour as the carpet. You need to remember that the carpet colour is not the same as the colour code for an event. I reviewed the pictures from last year’s MMR and I deeply believe that the greatest mistake was made by anyone who wore black on the black carpet (Monochrome would have been better than black). Come on!!! You should stand out on the carpet not blend in.
And before you send me pictures of celebs wearing red on a red carpet or yellow on a yellow carpet, remember that those colours are bright colours and look closely at the shade of red or yellow the person is wearing – the only way to shine while wearing the same colour as the carpet is to wear a different shade.
For more info on Music Meets Runway, check out http://www.musicmeetsrunway.com/ http://lindaikeji.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-countdown-to-music-meets-runway.html http://www.bellanaija.com/2013/09/05/its-a-mega-countdown-to-music-meets-runway-2013-win-tickets-smartphones-exclusive-pre-party-invites/
I’m as excited as you are, and I can’t wait to see y’all at MMR 2013.
- Watch The Music Meets Runway 2013 Campaign Video! (talesbycindy.wordpress.com)
- Jason Wu Runway Makeup Tutorial (video) (highvoltageblog.net)
- What to wear – Music meets runway (latendenza.wordpress.com)
- Michael Kors best quotes and fashion advice (Video) (examiner.com)
- Exclusive Interview: Project Runway’s Ken Laurence (starstruckpress.com)
- Runway vs. Red Carpet: Who Worked It Best? (totalbeauty.com)